Residential Drop Off Will be Closed to Accommodate Event
ROCHESTER — City Manager Blaine Cox announces that residents will have an opportunity to dispose of their hazardous household waste at an event next month, requiring the closure of regular residential waste drop off.
The Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day for Rochester and other surrounding communities will be held on Saturday, May 4, from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Turnkey Landfill on Rochester Neck Road.
To accommodate this event, the residential drop off site for trash and yard waste will be closed on May 4, due to ongoing construction.
The following items will be accepted:
- House and Garden Products: weed killers and fertilizers, no-pest strips, ant spray and baits, bug and rodent sprays, flea repellents, bug sprays, insecticides, assorted household cleaners and more.
- Garage Products: car wax and polish, fuel additives, antifreeze and various other car fluids.
- Workshop/Painting Products: oil or enamel based paint, stains and finishes, paint strippers and removers, photographic chemicals, fixatives, adhesives, glues and other solvents.
The following items will not be accepted:
- Latex paint
- Motor oil, tires and computers
- Zinc carbon and alkaline batteries (batteries sold after May 1996 are non-hazardous and can be placed in the trash)
- Recyclable batteries and fluorescent lights
- Car batteries
- Propane tanks
For a complete breakdown of what can and can’t be collected, click here.